Monday, April 14, 2008

Loving the Unlovable


Note: This post is not directed at any individual person, so don't think YOU are THAT PERSON, because that is certainly not the case.


Loving the Unlovable. That's so hard. I've recently had some friends who have been HARD to love. The other day, someone told me "If you want to be involved in ministry, you need to learn to love the unlovable." Ugh, that's like the last thing you want to here when you can't stand someone, Right? But I know it was the first thing and ONLY thing I needed to here. It would have been so much better to here "Just ignore them" or "Tell them you don't want to be around them". But instead I took a dagger right to the heart because my passion is to be involved in ministry. How can I love some and not love others? I sense this in every "group" I am involved with.
It's NOT that I don't want to be friends with certain people, its just that some times I need a break...some time away, not just from one certain person or group, but rather I feel like I need a break from MANY people and MANY groups from time to time. Me being around High School kids all the time isn't healthy (even though I love them) The same rings true for C3ers, for friends at Desales, and for adults within my church I like to be around. I love all of these people, but to much of a good thing can't be good..right? Let's be honest. Many of you who know me know that I haven't really "grown up". Yeah there's been progress and a difference in me than a year ago or even 6 months ago. I was able to start to become a different person BECAUSE of the friend's and influences I had, and yet I'm still not all the way there. I guess growing up, like being a Christian for me has been a process, like a tree. You don't expect to plant a seed and have a huge tree the next day. You know that planting that seed will eventually lead to a big tree, but not immediately . IF I don't want to influence people, but rather want to run away and come up with a good excuse to not be around or there when they need me, how are they going to learn, and how will I become a leader?

Matthew 5:43-48 (New International Version)

Love for Enemies
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[b] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.





Lord help me to love the unlovable. Help me show just a glimpse of how you have loved me.

No comments: