Thursday, July 3, 2008

Helpless in the woods!

Right now I'm standing in the middle of the road with a man I don't know....waiting for the cops to arrive...


Not exactly what I woke up this morning thinking I would be doing. Amazingly, I'm not in trouble!!!


I went to Wal-Mart and on my way back stopped at Trailside (where I used to work) to get some milk for the family. While inside I was asked by a former co-worker if I knew where a certain road was. I said I didn't but would check on the GPS I had with me. After searching, I was able to find it, and said I would try to help him get to his son and wife, whom he lost. He was without a cell phone, and tried calling his wife from a payphone but her phone was off. He was also not able to get in touch with his son.

So... we drove about 4 miles to where he thought the house was that his son was going too., but got nowhere.

At this point we were at a dead end, it was getting late, and he had no idea where to turn. I decided to call the police hoping his son had called or something. His son had not called them, but they said they would send an officer up to help us!

Come to find out (as we wait for the cops) this man's son is a missionary helping to translate bibles for Wyclif Bible Translators in Papa New Guini, which he and his wife have been doing for 12 years!!!

This was awesome to hear because I know people, friends of my mom who served with Wyclif in the Philipeans doing exactly what this man's son is doing!!



Wow, so here I stand (actually right now I am sitting in the middle of the road),sharing stories with this man who is just full of wisdom. We have talked about Wyclif, about bible translation around the world, and about our families!

What a great experience this has been!


Why I share this? Its certainly not for the praises of those around me, because seriously, I've spent 20 years and 9 days, living for myself, at the cost of others. So instead of wanting praises, what I need is people to be frustrated with me and ANGRY AT ME for the way I've lived!! What a disgrace.

WHAT TOOK SO LONG TO STOP LIVING MY LIFE FOR MYSELF??? And yet tomorrow and the next day and the next day, ect... I will DESIRE to live for myself. In my heart though, I know I WANT to help others. My desire is to help people! I want to help people that are lost (physically AND SPIRITUALLY), I WANT to TOUCH THE LIVES of the YOUTH around me and point them to my SAVIOR!!!!!


I called my mom to explain why I wasn't home (when I should have been home over 2 hours ago).

As any mother would, she was worried about me and responded that I shouldn't be out with some man I don't know in the middle of the night because 'its dangerous'.

I told her there was nothing to worry about, and I'm really not worried!

Seriously, I couldn't think of a better way to die than trying to help a fellow man!!!

That.....would be totally awesome!!

I've seen progress in my life. A year ago I would have 'shut my ear' to someone asking for directions. And yet, Now its not as noticable, but I still shut my ear to those around me, to my family and everyone else.

Has God done wonders in the last 2 years.....year.......6 months......MONTH...OF MY LIFE???? OF COURSE!!!


But how often have I ignored his call....even recently, to help those around me? How often in the past (insert time frime no matter how long or short) have I been too worried about what others thought of me to give a homeless guy on the street the change in my pocket....


or how often have I been too 'scared about my own safety' to pick up someone walking on the highway???


I've become accustom to turning my head or coming up with a 'good reason' Not to stop. :(





Save me Lord.
I NEED YOU!!!!

(and help us find this man's son as well.)


:)

No comments: