Friday, January 25, 2008

High School Ministry.

So... the time has come. On Monday I will be attending the Cornerstone high school ministry just to check it out and see if its something I would like to help with, although I believe I already know I want to.

Here's what my thoughts are off the top of my head.

1.
I don't want to step on any toes. I was approached about it by someone involved in it. That person told me they needed another guy to help with it. The idea intrigued me. I hope no one is angered/upset by my interest in serving in this ministry

2.
I don't want to try to be person in charge. As far as I can tell,this won't be a situation handed to me (which is good). Down the road, maybe that's something that may or may not happen, I honestly don't know. But I don't want this to be the "John show", I want it to be the God show, and I don't want to take charge unless I am asked (In that case, I am not desiring it, but if that is how I am called to serve, I will do so). Honestly I don't think this should be an issue.

3.
I want people to be able to turn off the "fun time". Many of the high schoolers know me as someone who is funny all the time (or tries to be). I mean, I like to be happy and have fun, but I want them to realize that I AM NOT there to joke around all the time. Will it be fun for me to be with them and vice versa at times? I sure hope so, but there's a time to be funny and a time to be serious
(Made me think of this old song)
To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep


The main idea there is that there's a time for everything, and while at the high school ministry may not be the best time to be cracking jokes all the time.


So why do I want to get involved in the High School Ministry?
Well If I were being interviewed (which I'm not...as far as I know...) or if I were to give an introduction to the HS'ers of who I am and why I am there (Which I won't unless I'm asked to please don't ask) it would go something like this.

I'm here because I can relate well to kids in high school, as well as I'm recently out of high school (2 years) so I know what High Schoolers go through and I have been through all of those things and more in my days as a teenager, and yet God's grace has lead me through. If my teenage years were a test of whether I can follow God's rules, I have failed the class every single day for the past 6 1/2 years, and yet one of the biggest things I have learned is that what Jesus did on the Cross covers all of that failure and gives me not just a passing grade in the course, but an A+. The struggles are still there, and always will be, but I trust that he is enough for me. I still argue with my parents, don't show kindness to those around me, don't put my best effort in when I work,ect. and yet I will get up tomorrow with his help and give it another shot. Many of you know me as someone who goes bowling, or goes to movies, as someone who likes to have fun and be funny, and I do, but I believe that the lessons you learn here are more important than the newest movie you saw, the best game for your PS3 or Xbox360, or how much money you have. This is the #1 most important thing, whether your 5,13,19,30, or 89
. I hope to show you through what I say,and also what I do, that everything God is trying to teach you is what you need to set your sights on and show ambition to find his will for your life more than than ambition for your favorite thing in the world. If you ever have questions about anything you can come to me with full trust that it will stay between us.





Edit: Wow I just wrote that all without thinking it out prior, not bad IMHO for on the spot and at 3 AM :)

No comments: