Saturday, May 3, 2008

Another Sunday Lesson

In Church this past Sunday, John Kinyon was up in Scranton at Hope Church. and we had the pleasure of having their pastor, Steve Wilson with us. It was basically a Pastor Swap for the day. YAY! Before I even heard Steve, I heard a challenge. As we entered the
Renewel" Jim said he following,
Who I am is different than who I think I am.
He told us to spend some time exploring that. I have done so this week, and you will here more about that sometime soon. Then, when Steve gave his sermon, a couple things stuck at....actually more like slapped me in the face. One directly addresses a soon-to-be blog post about people and their talents, as well as my recent post about the "loss" of community at Cornerstone! He said that
We have a desire to have a whole community like us that we lose what gifts we do have by envying the gifts others have. We don't feel like we need others. We feel unneeded and unwanted.



Wow....isn't that me in a nut shell? I desire community, but I also envy the gifts of others (good grades,great looks, better athletic abilities). By doing so, I lose part of the gifts I do have ( having a heart for the needs of others, relating well to teenagers, having the ability to work well with kids).

I don't feel like I need others. I sometimes do feel like I am not wanted, but mostly because I spend so much time trying to fix all my problems by myself.

Save me Jesus
I'm a mess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay John for giving details. Although now I am even more bummed that I was out of town last weekend. No one told me the guest pastor was Steve Wilson! If I recall correctly, he is a fellow SP, and I've always appreciated the stuff he has to say and the way he says it. Maybe cause he speaks my language :-)

And you and your gifts are definitely wanted in the kingdom. I particularly admire (hehe, positive form of almost envy) your ability to hang out with high school kids without feeling like a square, since that's what I do.

John Schuchman said...

SP? What's SP?

I'm not sure what feeling like a square is....but hanging with thew high school isn't that hard! Just relate to them (which I do easily since I am a kid at heart)